Neemuch or Nimach is a town in the Malwa region of the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The town shares its northeastern border with state of Rajasthan and is the administrative headquarters of Neemuch District. Formerly a large British cantonment of Gwalior princely state, in 1822 the town became the headquarters of the combined Rajputana–Malwa political agency and of the Malwa Agency in 1895. The British Cantonment was disbanded in 1932 after which it was maintained by a British Municipal Board.
The city was the location of a palace in the district of the Ajmer. Originally a part of the territory of Malwa, it was given to the Rana in 1768 to pay off debts incurred by the Rana (king) of Mewar. After that it became a British cantonment of the Gwalior princely state, except for short periods in 1794 and 1844 and 1965. The Neemuch cantonment played a significant role in the Indian Rebellion of 1857 and was the centre of disturbances in Malwa.
In 1857, Neemuch was the most southerly place to which the rebellion extended. A brigade of native Bengal troops were stationed at Neemuch, then mutinied and marched to Delhi. European officers took refuge in the fort, and were later besieged by a rebel force from Mandasor. The Europeans defended the city until relieved by the Malwa field force. Since 1895 Neemuch has been the headquarters of the political agent in Malwa, a subdivision of the British Central India Agency.
Neemuch was also the station for the following Indian Army Regiments:
- Bombay Army – 2nd Bombay Light Cavalry
- Bombay Army – 3rd Bombay Light Cavalry (Lancers)
- Bombay Army – 23rd Bombay Native Light Infantry
- Bengal Army – 37th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- Bengal Army – 49th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- Bengal Army – 72nd Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
Neemuch was also the station of the 26th and 48th field artillery batteries of the British in India.